DVT Prevention （Surgical Care Direction）
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a serious condition that occurs when a blood clot forms in a vein located deep inside your body. A blood clot is a clump of blood that’s turned to a solid state.
Deep vein blood clots typically form in your thigh or lower leg, but they can also develop in other areas of your body. Other names associated with this condition may include thromboembolism, post-thrombotic syndrome, and postphlebitic syndrome.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Trusted Source, symptoms of DVT only occur in about half of the people who have this condition. Common symptoms include:
- swelling in your foot, ankle, or leg, usually on one side
- cramping pain in your affected leg that usually begins in your calf
- severe, unexplained pain in your foot and ankle
- an area of skin that feels warmer than the skin on the surrounding areas
- skin over the affected area turning pale or a reddish or bluish color
People with an upper extremity DVT, or a blood clot in the arm, may also not experience symptoms. If they do, common symptoms include:
- neck pain
- shoulder pain
- swelling in the arm or hand
- blue-tinted skin color
- pain that moves from the arm to the forearm
- weakness in the hand
People may not find out that they have deep vein thrombosis until they’ve gone through emergency treatment for a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).
A pulmonary embolism can happen when a DVT clot has moved from the arm or leg into the lung. When an artery in the lung becomes blocked, it’s a life-threatening condition and people with this condition require emergency care.
However, Deep vein thrombosis may be treated and released in an effective way by virtue of the electrical muscle stimulation machine and Air Compression Therapy device whose generation is designed to decrease the risk of DVT (Deep Venous Thrombosis) and Pulmonary Embolism (PE) before, during, and after surgery.
Deep vein thrombosis is one of the most common complications of bed rest, and prevention is urgently needed. And the most important thing for DVT prevention is to identify the high-risk patients that would have DVT.
As is known to us, patients with severe illness have more tendencies to beget DVT. Then how to prevent DVT? Generally, there are three main prevention approaches to decrease the risk of it, including common nursing care prevention, mechanical method prevention and drug prevention.
1. Common nursing care
Common nursing care requires doctor or nurse pay more attention to patients with critical illness and observe them more often to see whether they are having the symptoms of DVT as sometimes the symptoms are less obvious that they are hard to be noticed. What’s more, popularizing knowledge of DVT is also necessary to enhance patients’ awareness of DVT.
Furthermore, diet is also significant in preventing DVT. Low fat, high fiber and digestible food is recommended for patients because they are easy to digest and drinking more water contributes to reducing blood viscosity.
Besides, physical activities are advised. First, ankle pump exercise, you can pause your feet about 10 seconds when they are being pressed down or up lifted to the maximum, and practice it at least 10 times an hour. Second, raise the legs at an angle of 20-30°, and remember that the tip of foot should be above the level of the heart.
Ankle pump exercise-DVT prevention
2. Mechanical prophylaxis
Wearing gradual decompression stretch hose for medical use helps to increase the blood flow velocity. The benefit of graded compression stockings is questionable except for low-risk surgical patients and selected hospitalized medical patients. However, combining stockings with other preventive measures may be more protective than any single approach.
In addition, intermittent pneumatic compression (IPC) is considered the most popularized and the most effective way to prevent DVT and venous foot pump (VFP) also benefits to relieving the DVT. Longest’s Air Compression Therapy LGT-2201DVT has intermittent pneumatic controller which is greatly helping to take precautions against DVT.
3. Drug prevention
(1) Unfractionated heparin (UFH);
(2) Low molecular weight heparin (LMWH);
(3) Vitamin K antagonist (VKA).
DVT Mechanical Prophylaxis for Surgical Care
In what situations does it might need mechanical prophylaxis for high-risk people?
Anything that slows the movement of blood through your veins increases your risk of DVT.
- Recent surgery, which decreases your mobility and increases inflammation in the body, which can lead to clotting;
- Medical conditions that limit your mobility, such as an injury or stroke;
- Long periods of travel, which limit your mobility;
- Injury to a deep vein;
- Inherited blood disorders that increase clotting;
- Cancer treatment;
- Older age.
In What Surgeries do it might need DVT mechanical prophylaxis?
Patients after general surgery, major gynecological surgery, major urinary surgery, major neurosurgery, knee or hip arthroplasty, femoral fracture operation, major trauma, spinal cord injuries, and stroke and the critically ill patients are tend to have higher risk of DVT.
After surgery, elevating the legs and avoiding prolonged immobility, which places the legs in a dependent position thereby impeding venous return, can help.
Intermittent pneumatic compression (IPC) uses a pump to cyclically inflate and deflate hollow plastic leggings, providing external compression to the lower legs and sometimes thighs. IPC may be used instead of or in combination with anticoagulants after surgery. IPC is recommended for patients undergoing surgery associated with a high risk of bleeding in whom anticoagulant use may be contraindicated. IPC is probably more effective for preventing calf than proximal DVT. IPC is contraindicated in some obese patients who may be unable to apply the devices properly.
For patients who are at very high risk of DVT and bleeding (eg, after major trauma), IPC is recommended until the bleeding risk subsides and anticoagulants can be given. The use of inferior vena cava filters should be avoided unless DVT has been confirmed, except in highly selected patients.
Three DVT Prevention Machines of LONGEST
Three products of Longest to prevent DVT including LGT-231 and LGT-2200DVT as well as the LGT-2201DVT with their own unique functions, characteristics and effects respectively, users are allowed to choose the proper one according to their special requirement. These Prevention Machines are in the category of surgical care. They are of significance in preventing DVT before, during and after surgery.
LONGEST Air Compression Therapy LGT-2201DVT
LGT-2201DVT is a compression therapy device comprised of an intermittent pneumatic controller, sleeves, and connectable hose. The DVT pump is a special pressotherapy system with gradient pressure that is designed to decrease the risk of DVT (Deep Venous Thrombosis) and Pulmonary Embolism (PE) before, during, and after surgery.
There are 4 compression modes and gradient pressure is loaded ensuring targeted patients to achieve optimal therapeutic effect in the process of treatment.
The real-time pressure monitoring system can automatically fill the pressure when the pressure is detected lower than the setting and stop after reaching the setting. With a flexible treatment time from 1 min to 99 hours or continuous output, and automatic memory of the last setting and screen lock function. If having been not operated over 10s, LONGEST Air Compression Therapy LGT-2201DVT would automatically lock to prevent misoperation.
LONGEST Air Compression Therapy LGT-2200DVT
Air Compression Therapy LGT-2200DVT, a DVT pump machine, is equipped with a special pressotherapy system with gradient pressure that is designed to decrease the risk of DVT(Deep Venous Thrombosis) and Pulmonary Embolism(PE) before, during, and after surgery, which is composed of an intermittent pneumatic controller (main unit), sleeves, and connection hose.
Working principle of Air Compression Therapy: machines run via the air inflating and deflating the sleeve sequentially to develop the circulating pressure on the human body, squeezing the proximal and distal of limbs to promote blood circulation lymphatic system and improve body microcirculation. Besides, LONGEST Air Compression Therapy LGT-2200DVT is supported to prevent thrombus, reduce limbs drops that are related to blood and lymph circulation directly or indirectly.
LONGEST MStim Reha LGT-231 (Surgical therapy)
MStim Reha LGT-231, an electrical muscle stimulation machine, is a new portable technology of additional DVT prophylaxis, which has loaded with an electrical muscle stimulation for preventing venous stasis during surgical treatment. EMS increases the venous flow of the lower limbs and has a prophylactic effect against the formation of DVT.
MStim Reha LGT-231 is frequently applied to hospital and after discharge in most DVT risk cases: high risk of DVT surgeries situations refer to orthopedic surgery, abdominal surgery, neuro-surgery, multiple trauma, and high-risk patients involved with cancer patients, history of past DVT, overweight, long immobilization, inherited clotting disorder, elderly, etc.
Images of products
Before, during, and after surgery
The same as LGT-2201DVT
1. Professional overlapping DVT sleeve
2. 4 Compression modes
3. Gradient Pressure setting
4. Real-time pressure monitoring
5. Bedside/backside hook
6. Flexible Treatment Time
7. DC/AC Supply
8. Automatic Memory for Last Setting
9. Screen Lock Function
10. Quick Connector
1. 5” touch screen
2. Intermittent Pneumatic Compression
3. The pressure of every chamber adjustable
4. Rechargeable battery
5. User-friendly interface
6. The same as LGT-2201DVT
1. Wireless Bluetooth connection: quick connection, easy and convenient
2. User-defined protocols: parameters such as frequency, pulse width, treatment time are adjustable in all treatment modes
3. Preset protocols: built in parameters and schematic diagram of muscle patch
4. Portable with 2 channels
5. Ingenuity design: small, convenient for placing and carrying
6. Environmental protection and energy saving: rechargeable battery can be used more than 4 hours.(Intensity: 50mA)
7. Real-time stability: 2 channels can be used together, 2 channels are adjustable independently.
8. Real-time display: show output, parameters and status
9. Bidirectional adjustment: can connect with APP, set custom parameters. It can do treatment without APP, use main device and remember the last treatment parameters.
Clinic and hospital
Clinic and hospital
Treatment, rehabilitation and functional recovery for:
Prophylaxis of Deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
1. Prevent DVT by improving the blood velocity of patients.
2. Circulation Enhancement, Deep Vein Thrombosis Prophylaxis, Edema – Acute, Edema – Chronic, Extremity Pain Incident to Trauma or Surgery, Leg Ulcers, Venous Stasis /Venous Insufficiency.
1. Elicit muscle contraction, prevent venous stasis and venous stasis, and increase the venous flow of the lower limbs.
2. Increase the intensity slowly and progressively, in order to see and feel deep muscle contractions.
Feedback of Users
1. GZ Longest’s Compression Therapy Devices (Model: LGT-2201DVT) were successfully delivered and installed in one hospital of Saudi Arabia in March 2021.
Eng.Waleed Adam and Attieh Medico team (GZ Longest’s partner and official distributor of Saudi Arabia) said that customer feedback was quite favorable.
2. Uwe Klingenstein, one of German client, also gave us positive feedback after using our products (model: LGT-2200DVT).
Longest has involved in medical health equipment manufacturing for more than twenty years, and our products has gone through strict tests. We believe that Longest will provide you the best DVT pump machine by adopting advanced technology.