Lymphedema and Effective Treatment
Lymphedema occurs when your lymph vessels are not able to drain lymph fluid adequately, therefore, causing the build-up of fluid in soft body tissues. The condition commonly occurs in the arms or legs.
Causes of Lymphedema
Any problems that block the drainage of fluid in the lymphatic system can cause lymphedema. The most common causes include:
- Cancer. Lymphedema may occur when cancer cells block lymph vessels
- Radiation treatment. Radiation can cause scarring and inflammation of lymph vessels or lymph nodes
- Surgery. Some surgeries such as breast cancer or skin cancer can damage the lymphatic system thus affecting the flow of fluid and leading to lymphedema.
- Critical traumatic injury. For example, extensive burns and massive fractures can cause lymphedema
- Inflammation. Rheumatoid arthritis and eczema that cause tissue to become swollen can damage the lymphatic system and cause lymphedema.
- Venous diseases. Venous diseases such as DVT and varicose veins can affect the flow of blood through the veins and lead to lymphedema.
- Obesity. People who are overweight have an increased risk of developing swollen body parts which can affect the lymphatic channels in some way.
- Immobility. Long-time immobility affects the fluid movement in the body and causes lymphedema. people with prolonged bed rest or in wheelchairs due to an illness or nerve damage are at risk of developing lymphedema.
Treatment of Lymphedema
Although lymphedema is not a life-threatening disease, it significantly affects the physical and psychological health of the patient. And the severe cases can affect mobility, and increase the risk of cancer and skin infection.
Pressotherapy Device for treating lymphedema
Pressotherapy device is an effective treatment for treating lymphedema. The device consists of an air pump and different sleeves that fit over the treated parts. The device generates intermittent and gradient air pressure to your legs, arms, and other body parts to encourage the movement of lymph fluids in your body.
Therapeutic effects of compression devices
- Better Blood Flow
- Prevention and Treatment of Varicose Veins and lymphedema
- Less Swelling
- Less Dizziness and Nausea.
- Lower Risk of Blood Clots
- Healing Leg Ulcers
If you are diagnosed with lymphedema or edema, you can find relief from the compression device. After a session of treatment, you will feel a noticeable change in your condition. The device can significantly reduce swelling, pain, and soreness in your arms and legs.
Longest is a professional manufacturer of clinical-use and hone-use compression devices with 22 years of experience. All of our compression devices are designed for comfort and manufactured using high-quality materials to have a long service life. And the various compression modes suit a wide range of treatment needs from at-home pain relief and lymphedema daily management to clinical treatment of lymphedema.
Lymphedema cannot be cured but having compression therapy on daily basis can significantly control and relieve the symptoms and improve quality of life.
Contact us if you are looking for high-quality compression devices used at physiotherapy clinics or hospitals to improve patient experience and outcome or used at home for daily relief.